Posted by: Amanda | 2009-03-27

Daughter needs Hysterectomy

My 39 year old daughter lives in a small town on the Mpumalanga Highveld. She has no medical aid. She was informed that she needs to have a hysterectomy. The local provincial hospital has a terrible reputation, and she is very worried about going there and the care that she would receive. Where can I find out about her options, and a gynaecologist who operates in a good provincial hospital? I know you don' t supply names, but perhaps you could give me an idea how to go about finding a decent hospital.

If your daughter goes to a provincial hospital, she will not be able to choose her doctor. The operation will be done by whoever is rostered for that day. You may also find that she has to go to the hospital in her area, as health services are structured in this way so that the load is spread rather than one hospital being oversubscribed. It is only in the private system that you have choices of doctor and hospital.

Posted by: Amanda | 2009-03-28

As stated in my original question, she has no medical aid. (Not even a hospital plan) which makes things very difficult. The Trichardt Hydromed is a private institution, she already got a quote from them, but their fees are sky high.

Reply to Amanda
Posted by: Tasja | 2009-03-27

Sorry to ask,but does she have a medical aid,even a hospital plan.I know that in Secunda/Trichardt is the Highveld Medi clinic,it might not be far from you??

Reply to Tasja