Posted by: Nic | 2012-04-12

Daughter and periods

Hi Doctor...I hope you can advise me further. I suppose not wanting to admit to myself that my daughter is now almost 11 and a half yrs old, I realised with sudden shock the other day after a friend mentioned it that my daughter would perhaps start her periods soon (!) A little backround here too: she actually started to develop more than a few years ago (which her peers did not and still have not). She was 8 when breast development began and underarm/pubic hair. However, breast development has not gone much further I might add. She has a bit of acne which started a year ago and for which we have sought treatment. She''s more moody in the past year of so too. She is however not a big girl and has an athletic smaller/medium frame (no fat) due to a lot of sport. I was much more rounded and bigger breasted at her age and I started my periods just after I turned 12 Is there any way to know if she''ll actually start her cycle soon ?? What are the very imminent signs of this happening, if any ?? I just worry about this as the girls in her class are not nearly as advanced in development. Can a child so young handle the responsibilities of periods ? (I know I did, but there were quite a few girls I knew who has already begun)...feeling a bit stressed over this. Can you assist with any advise please ? Thank you very much.

Refer to the following articles regarding menstruation and puberty:

I do not think that you should be too concerned about this, as the average age of menstruatin onset is between 12 and 13 and she will therefore, be able to handle the responsibility.