Question
Posted by: Sharkey | 2009-11-09

Daughter and night terors

Dear CS,

My daughter is 15 months old for the last 2 weeks she has developed this " fear"  of sleeping on her own. It started with her not wanting to go to sleep at all. We would put her in her cot and sit with her, not making eye contact - like some ooks say - and she would cry until she is to tired to scream. Then it started getting worse, she would stand in the cot with her hands held up - to be picked up - and scream her lungs out, so bad that she would choke, her choice would be hoarse.

It became worse, she would cry herself to sleep and then at about 2 am she would wake up and it wuld start all over again.
What made us think that she is acting out was as soon as you pick her up she sleeps immediately or when you put her in the bed between her father and I she would toss a bit and then fall asleep and then sleep through.

As we did not want to make a habit out of her getting picked up or brought to our room we put her on the single bed that was also in her room and it worked for 2 days and now its back to the usual.

She falls asleep in our bed in the evenings as I just do not hve the strength to listen to the screaming and her father will put her in her room and leave her there to scream herself to sleep and as there are so many different opinions about not leaving your child alone in their room to scream them selves to sleep I am so confused.

What do I do, it it her acting out, wanting more attention or is there a bigger problem that I might be missing? Last night she screamed from 01h25 to 3H45 and once i did pick her up and she fell aleep instantly and as soon as I lay her back down the screaming started again.

It might be a good idea to see a child psychiatrist or child psychiatrist, for her to be assessed, and then for the child shrink to work with you to plan a program to aim at bringing her sleep problems under control.

2

Posted by: Woman | 2009-11-09

Hi Sharkey,

Does she go to crè che? Is she cutting teeth? Has something happened that could make her feel insecure? Is she sick?

You can try putting a blue light bulb in her room (sounds strange but worked for me), but I would take her for a check up at the paediatrician if I were you.

good luck!

Reply to Woman