Question

Daughter and Ex

My daughter is currently having problems at school and i have been paying towards the psychologists etc. The money for my daughter is not a problem, but when i spoke to her dad about this he tells me that he earns less than me because i am on management and he is not. He keeps throwing in my face that he has 2 kids (from 2 different mothers). This i told him is not my problem. He pays R1000 a month towards her schooling which is not even that amount - I have to cover the rest and whenever i try and discuss it with him he screams at me and slams the phone down. I want to go to the maintenance courts but would like advice on how it works seeing that we are in different cities. He is in Durban and me in PTA. Mind you our salaries are the same because he works overtime and i only receive a standard income, he can afford to change cars every year but i drive one thats economical.

The sort of job you have achieved by your own hard work and ability, if more senior than his, is nothing to apologise for nor be penalized for. When a court decides on setting maintenance, though, they would usually take into account the relative earnings of each former partner.
That he has chosen to have 2 other kids with 2 other mothers is not your fault, and irreleant in terms of the extent to which he should care for this child of his.
Would it be useful to consider going to a Maintenance Court to have the court consider his and your earnings and the necessary expenses of the child, and set a maintenance amount ? The main complication to that suggestion, I'd guess, would be that you are currently living in different cities.

1