Question
Posted by: Samantha | 2011-02-15

Daughter Age 7 sleeps for 2 hrs a night and cries for the balance

I wonder if you can help me, My daughter age 7 for the past 3 weeks has not been able to sleep, she sleeps for 2 hrs and then wakes up and cries for the balance of the evening which is now driving me mad! I have taken all her luxuries away, being sweets (which he only has once a week normally) deserts, cakes, biscuits, computer games and now the last TV, she just cant sleep and doesnt know why she is crying or can not sleep.
I am divorced and her father lives overseas but we have been divorced for over 2 years and been through all the changes ...... she was put on herbal sleeping tablets to help her sleep then and i dont believe in just giving medication so as soon as she settled i stopped giving the stuff to her but now it doesnt work either... Nor does alergics etc other medication that leads to drowsiness
I really need some help and guidance please

Expert ImageSleep Expert

Sleeping tablets - herbal or otherwise - will not work.

Everyone wakes at roughly 90-minute intervals overnight. She needs to understand that waking is OK, but it is not OK to wake everyone else.

I would suggest that you put a night light in her room, so that she is not surrounded by total darkness when she wakes. If you hear her crying, reassure her, and let her read her favourite book quietly (on her own) until she is ready to go back to sleep.

I don't think punishment is likely to help. However, as soon as she manages to get back to sleep with a minimum of fuss, she should be lavishly praised, and told how proud you are of her.

Keep her sleep hours regular - the same time to bed and the same time up, and make sure she has some quiet time before she goes to bed, so that she is not over-stimulated at that time.

2
Posted by: Samantha | 2011-02-16

Thank you so much for your help, I will try this

Reply to Samantha
Posted by: Sleep expert | 2011-02-16

Reply to Sleep expert