Question
Posted by: KAT | 2010/03/01

daughter afraid of dogs

my 6yr old daughter is terrified of dogs and I love them, so for the past 6yrs i couldn''t get a dog but now we recently got a puppy, she doesn''t want to touch it, and she screams when it comes close to her.
I pick it up my and put it in my lap and it just lays stil and she''l brush its head but once it moves she screams and cry''s.
am i forcing her or should i just let it go she''l never warm up to dogs?
please help what shall i do,

Fortunately these simple phobias respond extremely well to basic CBT or behaviour therapy, provided by a good local child psychologist, who can teach her to relax when she needs to, and then to gradually get used to the idea not only of dogs being safe but pleasant, until she can not only lose this irrational fear of dogs ( which is one of the definitions of a phobia ) but could become fond of them. At the very least she could co-exist with them without unpleasantness for her or the dog.
But so long as she continues to be exposed to the dog and getting scared of it, the fear will grow and become more established, so see the shrink ASAP, and she can work with this puppy as a good example of a nice dog, and learn to lose the excessive fear.

4
Posted by: Mon | 2010/03/01

My daughter is 5 and is exactly the same around dogs. If she is invited to a birthday part or a play date, we have to check that there are no dogs at the house.

Reply to Mon
Posted by: KAT | 2010/03/01

that the thing, no she hasn''t, we''ve never even had 1 b4, so it worries me..

Reply to KAT
Posted by: Maria | 2010/03/01

Why is she terrified, has she had a bad experience?

Reply to Maria