Posted by: Worried Mom | 2009-05-26

Daughter 26 diagnosed with Bipolar

My daughter aged 26 was diagnosed with Biopolar late last year. She was a very nice person as she was growing up but she gradually changed to be a total stranger, more especially to me. She started having mood swings and she would be extremely disrespectful, angry and violent. I thought she was taking drugs.
One night when we were all sleeping i woke up to hear things breaking in the house. I went to investigate and i found her breaking things everywhere in the house. I tried to stop her and she became violent with me, i letf her and she started to tear the PJ'  s she was wearing, screaming and talking to herself. I was shocked and confused I then called the police and the ambulance. The police tied her up and put her in the ambulance and took her to the hospital kicking and screaming. She stayed for a month in hospital and she lost her job as a result of her illness. She is currently at home and i must say she is much better now but she looks different somehow, her looks has changed and everything she does including her speech is slow. She is on Lethium and resipedal and she is unable to sleep without sleeping tablets. I worry a lot about her cause i am told that there is no cure for Biopolar and she is going to have another episode during Spring.

Please help us!

Expert ImageArchive

Your description indicates that your daughter had a Manic episode and probably suffers from Bi-Polar I Disorder. It must have been a terrible experience for you but more so for your daughter. It is understandable that it changed her life and affected her confidence. It is probably the medication that causes her slowed speech and actions. She needs a lot of understanding and encouragement. I would suggest that she sees a psychologist who can help her with Cognitive Therapy. She needs to firstly recover from the shock and accept her condition – it can take a long time to get to the point of accepting it. It will help if she could join a support group. You also need to go because you also need support and help to cope with the situation. With Cognitive therapy she can learn to manage her condition, how to recognise when she is starting to go up or when she is entering a depressive period. Keeping an eye on what she eats and also how to manage her sleep (she can eventually wean off the sleeping tablets but it will take a lot of effort). Exercise is also important because she can get rid of a lot of toxins in her body that way.
I hope this helped.