Question
Posted by: chantal | 2008/06/30

daughter

my daughter is 4 and 9 months. AT home she is a very confident child, gets loads of love from both of her parents. She has a younger brother of 2.5

Her teacher at pre-primary says she can be so anxious at time, shy and insecure. She dislikes change in their routine. This is so worrying to me, I can see often that she can be very shy, and yet at playgrounds she can be very confident and go up to other children and play with them.

I worry so about my sensitive daughter, maybe because I am not like this! I am quite outgoing and "loud", my husband can be a bit more shy I guess, maybe she got this from him.

Do I need to take her to see a specialist or is this normal pre-school behaviour. When does it become abnormal? She is doing well in all other areas at school and has many friends there. It is just that at times she can be so sensitive and so emotional that I am worried

many thanks

I wonder whether your degree of wory about her might be contributing to making her feel insecure in some situations ? this is probably within the range of normal ; most of us feel insecure or shy in some situations, and soem of us show this more than others. If she is, as you describe, secure and confident in other challenging settings, and can grow comfortable and confident after initial discomfort, that should be fine.

2
Posted by: chantal | 2008/07/01

hi tango, it's not only the teacher, I can notice it too, I also see how sensitive and anxious she can be in certain situations. I think teachers though also see them in a group setting so are capable of advising how they are in relation to other children

Reply to chantal
Posted by: Tango | 2008/06/30

She is not yet 5 and a teacher is making a call on her behaviour!! Grrr....unless I am wrong - I would not in the least be concerned. So many teachers get us into a spin over our very normal children who are still developing socialising skills at such a young age.

Reply to Tango