Posted by: Ronel | 2009-08-07

Dashund Lucy

My girl, Lucy is now 7 years old and quite healthy. My concern is that she has started to lick herself, on her paws, back, feet etc. Why is she doing it? and how do I stop her from doing it? I hate using the word ' dont'  or ' stop it' , even though she understands it. It feels as if Im scolding her all the time

Dear Ronel

To find the cause can be difficult, even after a clinical examination. There are no 'stop itching' tablets on the market.

I have two Daschunds and both have this problem, especially if they' ve been outside for a while. I use Allergex when it is really bad at night and add a few drops of Ecovet- Eco Scratch to their water daily and the problem is MUCH better! I found that they are allergic to the dry grass.

Posted by: Chill | 2009-08-07

You' ll presumably have checked the skin on her paws/legs, and found it to be healthy-looking? If not, she may have an allergy to something (think grass, for example).

Alternatively, sometimes if dogs are bored they develop neurotic habits like this - it' s essential in such cases to act sooner rather than later, because the more entrenched the habit is, the harder it is to break.

Talk to your vet about these possibilities, and if it' s the latter, then take steps to provide stimulation (perhaps a companion?), or to try a course of anti-stress medication, to see what happens.

Reply to Chill