Posted by: hopeful | 2010-01-07

Daschund pup

I hope you will be able to give me needed advice. We have a mini daschund pup, she is now 7 months old. It' s been a bumpy 7 months... She is disobedient, seems untrainable, as she just doesn' t listen. We have been to a trainer, it didn' t work. She " messes"  where ever she wants. She cries non stopping. Whether we give her attention, ignore, play, everything she still does all of this!! The way she cries is like someone screaming from being killed, and we live in a complex, so that is a big probelm. I can' t even go into the bedroom or bathroom and close a door, otherwise she will scream / bark blue murder! What can you suggest we do? I want to atleast try sort this out in a way... or find the problem... I want to be able to live with her happily, instead of disliking her, which is starting to happen and I don' t want that. Would a animal behaviorist help? Another dog? I just need help, please!

Thank you and hope to get a reply soon.

Dear Hopeful

I would start with another behaviourist. Try a DAP diffuser as well.

Posted by: Vrye Denker | 2010-01-18

You live in a complex, yet you have an irritating dog? Please get rid of it. I am sure if I moved in next to you with my pair of -|- atoos, you' d have the body corporate on my case in no time.

Reply to Vrye Denker
Posted by: Cybervet | 2010-01-09

Dear Hopeful

Reply to Cybervet
Posted by: steph | 2010-01-08

we had a little daxie with the same issues, but she was a rescue doggie with a bad history. We tried some meds called zylkene and they helped but only a bit. we also had a behaviourist but we found that she had sever abandonement issues and we were just not able to be home 24/7. We eventually decided, after 2 long years that Coco could not be happy to be in this state all the time. we have re homed her, but have been tremendously lucky in that she went to a new home where the owner takes her EVERYWHERE with her and she is like a whole new dog. Her anxiety issues and hyperactivity have cleared up completely. Are you able to spend more time with her, and do you exercise her often enough? We did find that if we walked our dog for at least an hour a day it helped a lot. but i would strongly suggest a behaviourist in this instance.

Reply to steph
Posted by: hopeful | 2010-01-07

Diti again, maybe you can help with this, I forgot to mention it previously. She is extremely hyper active, in a way that vets say they haven' t seen many dogs that hyperactive. Could that be part of the problem? Could that be causing her to be the way she is? Would that then help to get her a friend to play all that energry out on?

Reply to hopeful
Posted by: Hopeful | 2010-01-07

Hi Diti

Thank you so much for you reply. She doesnt have internal / medical problems. We are just scared that if we do get her a friend, that the new dog will be exactly the same, and then we sit with double the trouble, as we are scared she will teach it to be like that... I don' t know, we are really just... beaten...

Thank you again :-)

Reply to Hopeful
Posted by: DITI | 2010-01-07

hi there,
as a long time breeder of yorkies and dachshund pups, i have never had this problem  spoilt pups, and other issues but not this. i would suggest a full medical exam by your vet to rule out any internal problems. you state that this problem has occured since the beginnig so maybe there is a hidden problem  another contributing factor is the kennel circumstances surrounding the day-to-day care of the pup/ did the pup incur any bad treatment ?and finally i would consider a friend for your pup, and hopefully another dachshund!

Reply to DITI