Posted by: Lealea | 2008-11-28

Daschund bad breath

I have a miniature daschund who has bad breath at times, especially in the morning. She drinks milk in the morning and 4 dog biscuits. could it be the milk. Both my daschunds eat a lot of weeds and grass. could it be this? Is it their nature to eat weeds and plants and would they know what is poisonous?

Dear Lealea

Smelly breath is mostly caused by tartar on teeth. It is worth having a dental done every 2-3 years to clean it off. Once clean you can use a mouth spray re Wampum anti-bacterial mouth spray. Brushing also helps a lot. This time of year grass is palatble and most dogs will have a nibble.

Posted by: Lealea | 2008-12-02

Thanks to all of you who responded. It is so nice to have such sound advice. My dogs are my children, I love them to death. I just wish they could talk ... well they almost do dont they? heheheee

Reply to Lealea
Posted by: Chill | 2008-11-28

Milk causes worms?? That' s totally untrue.

And be careful of those ' greenies'  you get at petshops, they are not harmless.

Reply to Chill
Posted by: almost mad | 2008-11-28

I dont think your dog should be drinking milk...i think it causes worms. Also there are these breath chew things you can buy at the pet store...they even have toothbrushes.

Reply to almost mad