Question
Posted by: Blommertjie | 2008/08/28

Daschund and Back Problems

About 4 years ago my mom and I rescued a daschund from a local mall, where someone had left her. Mollie. She is the sweetes dog ever! She was still quite young, from what we could see, and if we (and the vet) had to take a guess we would think that she is about 6 years old now. Last year October my mom woke up one morning and Mollie' s back side was completely lame. Rushed to the vet and he told us to take her to Panorama anamil hospital (which looks just like a human hospital might I add, just instead of people in the beds there are all kinds of animals) they did an MRI (if I am notmistaken - they put her in that tunnel to take X-rays of her back) Turns out she had slipped a disk. They operated and she spent about a week in hospital. She pulled through ok, but only started walking in February this year again. It was a fullt ime job taking care of her, and hours of self adminestered physio etc. During this time she also had no control over he bladder and bowel movements. She is walking ok now (almost) although her hind legs don' t always co operate that well, and she jumps around like a rabbit, quite amusing to watch her sometimes. Anyway, since she started walking again, she regained control of her bladder, but seems to be struggling with controlling her bowels. She will be sleeping, and the poo wil just start coming out. We can see she is embarrased and she' ll jump up and start running for the door. Sometimes it' s too late and she' ll try and hide it. Why is this still happening. Will it take more time for her to regain the feeling in her bowels or is it just habbit now (surely not). Is there anything that we can do to help her?
Thanks :)

Dear Blommertjie

Its not habit and some nerve damage is permanent, other damage will have a slow recovery. Diff to give you a definate outcome with this. Phone the surgeon at the hospital and ask his advice as he would be the one that can give you the most info.

2
Posted by: Sausage dog lover | 2008/08/28

Hi Blommertijie
I too have daschunds - they are the best! My one daxi injured his back about three years ago to the point that he became completely lame in his back legs and it was very painful for him. My local vet said he could operate but I had heard about acupuncture and wanted to find a vet who could do that for me so I opted in taking him for acupuncture at Cape Animal medical Centre (Dr Hindmarsh) and although it took a few months he was back up on all fours and running around again - without any operation at all!. About 18 months later he injured himself again! And again we trekked off to Cape Animal Medical Centre for another course in acupuncture. It is amazing how this works. He is now very happy and running around again. Not sure about the bowl problem though - maybe Dr Hindmarsh will be able to help you here - he is amazing! They are situated in Rondebosch. Good luck and hope things work out for you and your daxi.

Reply to Sausage dog lover
Posted by: Natasha | 2008/08/28

Hello Blommertjie
Good to " meet"  someones else who has gone thru the same thing as I have !!
I have 3 daxies, and one of them Cecelia had exactly the same operation on the 1st February this year. She belonged to my mom-in-law, and as I paid for the op and did all the rehab work with her afterwards, I inherited her. She is like a different dog now (she weighed 16 kgs when she went lame) and now weights 5 kgs. I know what u mean by the legs not co-operating too well. Cecelia is the same, but boy if she wants to chase the cat the legs suddenly work perfectly :-) Mischevious brat !!
Anyway, back to the topic at hand......Cecelia is also not in control of her bowel movements. She tends to realise that she is making a poo once the first little piece comes out, and then darts for the door, often leaving a little poop trail for me to follow :-)
Luckily she eats Hills so it is not too messey to pick up !!
I have spoken to a number of vet specialists, and they have told me that sometimes the slipped disk or operation leaves permanent scar tissue and some nerve damage, which means that the dog only feels the bowel movement when it is a bit too late. My vet told me that Cecelia might improve a bit, but that there is a good chance that she will always have that problem.
Personally I feel picking up the poop is a small price to pay to see Cecelia walking and happy again, as the sight of her dragging her legs behind her was the saddest thing I have ever seen.
Best of luck to Mollie, and tell her Cecelia knows how she feels !!
Kind Regards
Natasha

Reply to Natasha