Question
Posted by: Zee | 2012/05/23

darkening lips

Dear doc,i had amiscarriage late Jan and i had lost a lot of blood.I was given iron tablets treatment for a month but lately i have noticed that my lips are darkening could this be some lack of iron?how do treat this?.your response is highly appreciated.

Zee

Pale lips are usually a sign of anemia. Darkening of the lips are normally caused by smoking, drinking wine, long term use of certain lipsticks etc. To set your mind at ease, you can however, consult your doctor for an examination and blood tests, to rule out any underlying pathology.