Question
Posted by: Shelley | 2011/03/09

Dark urine and antibiotic

I apologise in advance, this is going to be a long post!

I was bitten by my neighbours cat and I was put on amoxicillin 500mg x 6 per day. (3x500mg in the morning and 3x500mg at night).

I went to the loo and my urine was a dark brown colour - I freaked out and 5 minutes later I urinated in a potty so I''''d have a sample for the doc and it was a normal yellowish colour.I urinated a few times during the night and my urine was a normal yellow colour.

The next day I went to the doctor and he did a urine test just to be safe. He did not say anything about a bladder infection, but he did say I had bile in my urine and that I was not coping with the penicillin dose prescribed and told me to only take 3x500g tablet per day (1 morning, 1 noon and 1 night) and that I will be fine but I am terrified that maybe I damaged my liver or my kidneys to make the wee go brown.

I was feeling particularly nauseated yesterday and I only managed 2 antibiotic pills instead of the 3. I then took my usual folic acid and thyroid medication before bed. I urinated a few times during the night and it was a normal yellow colour, but this morning it was a horrible dark yellow with an almost pink tinge.

I have had bladder infections before and I certainly dont feel like I have one now (no burning urination, not frequent trips to the loo, no fever). I have had some mild cramps in my back and a few general aches and pains but no fever, I dont have to wee often in fact I dont wee for hours at a time even though I am drinking quite a bit (I am really thirsty!) and when I do wee its usually quite a bit. Surely if I had a bladder or a kidney infection the doc would have picked it up with the urine test yesterday?

Should I really continue on these antibiotics? I know it is to prevent serious infection from the cat bite but I am still worried about taking them!

Thank you!

I don't know if the antibiotics have anyhting to do with it, but bile in the urine should be investigated. You should have perhaps have blood tests to check liver function.

2

Posted by: Shelley | 2011/03/09

Sorry Doc I forgot to add that I am 10 weeks and 4 days pregnant!

Reply to Shelley