Question
Posted by: Lizelle | 2010/09/06

Dark stools

For the past two weeks or so my stools are very dark brown - not black - but just much darker than usual. I do not have stomach ache or anything like that. I''m a cyclist and we cycle about 140 to 160 km a week (we did a race yesterday of 91km) - I read somewhere that cycling causes dark stools, but I do not want to assume that it is the cycling. I used to be very very constipated, such that I had to take something to make my stomach go, until I started cycling seriously in January this year. Now I do not have that problem anymore. Should I be concerned about this change in the colour?

Hallo Lizelle
Unless you think that there is blood in the stool, I don't think you have to worry about the colour. Blood in stool looks like black coffee granules or is black and tarry. Certain foods or medication can cause dark stools like iron supplements, blackberries, licorice and Pepto Bismol.

2
Posted by: kellogs | 2010/09/06

high fibre diet should do the trick. try not to cycle after wards though, may mess your seat

Reply to kellogs
Posted by: Cyberdoc | 2010/09/06

Hallo Lizelle