Posted by: Loyiso | 2009-10-02

Dark patches

I have been on high blood pressure medication since 2003 and have been on Prexum 4mg since 2006. In 2207 i noticed a small dark patch on my cheek bone skin. I became bigger as the time went by. I first thought it was a sunburn and used every cream but it never worked. Last year another dark patch developed on the other cheeck. This one also started small. I am a male of 43 years. Could these be caused by the high blood pressure medication? I visited a dermatologist who could not help me but atrributed this to genetic problem.

Expert ImagePharmacist

Although I doubt whetther the Perindopril (prexum) is the cause of the patches, it may occasionally cause your skin to become more sensitive to the sun - The combination of perindopril and UV exposure may be a potential cause of these patches.