Question
Posted by: MOM 2 | 2008/11/06

DARK MARKS ON FACE

I AM 26 AND AM STRUGGLING WITH BROWN (BLEMISHES/SPOTS) ON MY CHEEKS, ON MY UPPER LIP LEFT AND RIGHT ON MY LOWER LIP ON MY NOSE, THIS IS EMBARESING, I HAVE A CLEAR SKIN TONE MEANING NO ACNE OR BLACK HEADS, WHAT CAN I USE TO MAKE THESE SPOTS LIGHTER OR TO EVEN REMOVE THEM?

Expert ImageAnti-ageing expert

Hello Mom 2, thank you for the question.

This is a difficult question to answer accurately over the internet and your best option would be to consult with a dermatologist who can examine the areas of concern and advise you on the appropriate treatment options.

From your description the brown blemishes are most probably hyperpigmented marks and one should differentiate weather the marks are purely from sun exposure or due to hormonal changes resulting in Melasma.
Pigmentation marks can be treated and you have various options:

Topical regime (improvement should be seen over a 6 to 12 month period):
Glycolic acid peels
SPF 30 or higher containing zinc oxide and/or titanium dioxide
Pigment lightening creams (NeoStrata Brightening Cream SPF 15, NeoStrata Pigment Cream, one may add hydroquinone to these creams)

Technology:
Before technology is considered one needs to differentiate between sun induced pigmentation and Melasma, if the marks are due o Melasma one needs to further differentiate between epidermal and dermal pigmentation.
IPL & Bi-Polar Radiofrequency (Syneron eMax, eLight)
Laser (Fraxel, Ultrapulse FX, Palomar Starlux, etc.)
IPL (Ellipse)

One can use combinations of the above approaches however, whatever treatment option you choose, sun avoidance (use a hat, umbrella, etc) and a good SPF 30 or higher are important.

4
Posted by: Jay | 2009/04/15

I would like to know which products can i use to remove black marks on my face that caused by being assaulted. They were blue eyes and now they have turned black.

Reply to Jay
Posted by: sallyride | 2009/03/25

I like to even my skin color and klighten the dark spots

Reply to sallyride
Posted by: Dr Alek Nikolic | 2008/11/10

Hi Mom2, it is my pleasure.
My advice is to see a dermatoligist Dr Pieter du Plessis in Pretoria, unfortunately I do not have his number.

Reply to Dr Alek Nikolic
Posted by: MOM 2 | 2008/11/06

SHOE! THANKS THAT WAS A QUICK REPLY. UNFORTUNATELY I SIT IN A SMALL TOWN IN NORTHERN NAMIBIA AND STUFF AND DOCTORS ARE LIMITED, I WOULD HAVE TO MAKE A TRIP DOWN TO WINDHOEK OR EVEN WHEN WE GO TO PRETORIA IN JANUARY IS THERE A PLACE I CAN VISIT? THEN AGAIN MONEY IS ALSO AN ISSUE BUT IF SOMEONE CAN JUST HAVE A LOOK I DO HAVE MEDICAL AID. THANKS!

Reply to MOM 2