Question
Posted by: SR | 2010-05-31

Dark Marks and dark circles under eye

Please advise what I can use for dark marks on my face - left by acne. Or even suggest a good cream to even my skin tone.Also what is the best cream to use for dark circles under the eye, I have tried creams by ROC, L''oreal and Garnier nothing helps - or even if it does help - its for a couple of weeks and then the eye area becomes dark again.

thanks

Expert ImageAnti-ageing expert

Hi SR, thank you for the email and my apologies for the delay with my response but I was away in George presenting filler and Botox workshops for the doctors in the area.

Your best option would be to consul a dermatologist, aesthetic medical practitioner, or a plastic surgeon who can examine the dark marks and the under eye circles and discuss with you you the best treatment options.

From your description the dark marks are most probably pigmentation marks following the inflammatory effect of the acne. One can consider topical products such as NeoStrata Pigment Lightening Gel (at night) and the Brightening Cream (during the day). One may add the NeoStrata Peels to further improve the appearance of the pigmentation. If one does not get good enough results then one may consider IPL skin rejuvenation or even fractional skin resurfacing.

The treatment of dark under eye circles is dependent on the cause and typically three main reasons are seen:
Tear trough – a loss of the fatty support in the area allowing the skin to fall on the bone resulting in a shadow effect (treatment: filler)
Pigmentation – treatment as above
Superficial Veins: IPL or laser vein removal
Combination of the above