Question
Posted by: Sibongile | 2011/07/21

Dark facial skin

Please help I just had a second child and my face skin colour started to change.
My face is darker than my body and it''s been six months since I got the baby.
What should I use to get back to my original skin colour.

Expert ImageAnti-ageing expert

Hi Sibongile, thank you for the question.

This sounds like a specific type of pigmentation known as Melasma that is associated with hormonal changes such as pregnancy, and typically forms on the cheeks, upper lip, forehead, and less so, on other parts of the body. If the pigmentation you see is Melasma the treatment becomes more difficult than general sun induced pigmentation.

The most important part of your treatment will include a topical SPF (50 or higher) that contains zinc oxide and/or titanium dioxide.

If the Melasma is dermal (deeper in the skin), laser or IPL may actually DARKEN and worsen the appearance of the pigmentation.
DERMAL MEALSMA is generally unresponsive to most treatments, and has only been found to lighten with products containing hydroquinone and/or mandelic acid. So your best approach would be to use a combination of glycolic and mandelic acid peels together with topical products containing mandelic acid and hydroquinone.

If the MELASMA IS EPIDERMAL one may try the technology based treatments listed above together with the following:

Hydroquinone: prescription (4%) strength.
Tretinoin: this treatment cannot be used during pregnancy.
Azelaic acid (20%)
Facial peels with alpha hydroxy acids (mandelic) and/or glycolic acid.

So in summary, your best approach is to firstly have the pigmentation examined so I strongly recommend that you consult with a dermatologist and from there to decide the treatment regime however, there is nothing stopping you from trying the topical approach first.

1
Posted by: anti-ageing expert | 2011/07/22

Azelaic acid (20%)

Reply to anti-ageing expert