Question
Posted by: hestia | 2011/02/09

dark days

Hi. Just want some advice. How do you cope with one of those days that is just as black as can be. The other day I was extremely sad. Just sat there tears streeming down my face. Having a bottle of pills in my hand and thinking that it will be so easy to end it all.
I don''t understand as I do not believe in suicide. However on those black days I can actually " understand"  why people would do it. the only reason I put it away is because I do not want to put my loved once through that.
It does not happen often however it seems to be more frequent. This is worrying to me. What is the best way to cope with days like this? I don''t know if these days are just days I am sad or bordering on depression. I find that in the past it was only one day and the next day I will feel better. It now is a week and I still feel down.

I'm pleased to hear that you reject suicide as a response to such bad days. I'm wondering what pills you have. If you are receiving treatment for Depression, it doesn't sound as though it is working well ; if not, then maybe you should consider seeing a psychiatrist for a proper assessment and a discussion of treatment options. And I doubt that you should be managerd purely by pills, rather than by therapy / counselling of the CBT form, which can miore usefully focus on these negative thought habits, and better ways of preventing and handling the bad days

1