Question
Posted by: Tazz | 2008/09/17

Dark circles under eyes

I am 30 years old and have serious dark circles/bags under my eyes. It was always more prominent with me than my peers (perhaps hereditary?) but it seems to be getting worse recently. I am currently using the Clarins range (including eye balm) but it isnt really helping. I do realise that there could be a host of reasons contributing to the dark circles - but which eye cream do you suggest would be most effective? I have read that ' Eyevive'  is extremely effective but I am not sure where to get it in SA. What are your views on this product?

Expert ImageAnti-ageing expert

Hello Tazz, thank you for the question and my apologies for the delay with my answer.<br><br>There are a number of possibilities (alone or in combination) for the dark circles that you have noticed: <br>Firstly a groove known as the tear trough, below the lower eyelid, develops as a result of a small pocket of fat that ‘drops’ allowing for what is known as the shadow effect and for the skin to lie closer to a venous plexus increasing the darkness noted.<br>Secondly, hemoglobin may ‘leak’ out of the venous plexus and sit in the skin increasing the darkness noted.<br>Other possibilities include a combination of the above and/or pigmentation, hereditary, and superficial veins.<br>My advice would be to consult an aesthetic practitioner or a cosmetic dermatologist who can examine the area and from there prescribe the appropriate treatment.
You have a number of options to treat the above considerations and my feeling is that topical eye products will not have a great benefit.
I will list your options as follows:
Fillers (Restylane, Juvederm 24, or fat) placed in the infra-orbital area, as this would lift the skin out of the groove and away from the venous plexus. This will have the added benefit of removing the tired look and giving the eye area a youthful and refreshed appearance.
In some cases this may be enough to treat and correct the problem completely, but, if there is also hemoglobin one needs to use a topical product to allow the breakdown of this pigment (hemoglobin) – Cernor XO.
One should always remember to use a good SPF and generally speaking products that contain Vitamin K will over time benefit this area to a mild degree.

1
Posted by: Zo | 2008/09/19

Try Nivea eye cream Q10. It worked wonders for me. Good luck.

Reply to Zo