Question
Posted by: ANONYMOUS | 2010/08/24

DARK CIRCLE AROUND EYES - WHEN MUGGED

Doc, I have this dark circle around my left eye, after been hijacked and mugged. The guy punched me in the face, and after all the swelling went down , just on top of my cheek bone, the skin under my eye, is very puffy, and looks kinda blue. I dont know if the muscle got hurt. I did go for x-ray but all is in place?
how can i get rid of the blue colour of my skin? it looks really bad and i dont know what to use. i tried ponds flawless but did not make any difference. something affordable will help please!

Expert ImageAnti-ageing expert

Hi Anonymous, thank you for the question and I am sorry to hear about the terrible incident you have been through.

This is a difficult question to answer over the net as one would ideally like to examine the area first before deciding on the cause and best treatment options. There may be a number of reasons for the blue discoloration and depending on how long ago the mugging occurred and the reason will determine the treatment option. Furthermore the X-rays will only show damage to bone and not to underlying soft tissue such as muscle, fatty tissue, lymphatics, etc.

Generally speaking the following possible causes may be responsible:

Bruising
Muscle tear
Lymphatic damage
Hemosiderin deposition (Iron from the blood remains within or close to the skin)
Combination of the above

Your best option would be to consult a plastic surgeon or an orthopedic surgeon who can examine the area and decide what is going on.
From your description it seems that there is still swelling and bruising present and following a severe trauma this may take up to 6 months to clear. Anti-inflammatories and the use of Arnica cream may help to speed up the healing process. Diuretics may be used to help the lymph drainage while Hemosiderin deposition may require IPL treatments (3 to 5 sessions) before clearance can be achieved.

1
Posted by: anti-ageing expert | 2010/08/28

Bruising
Muscle tear
Lymphatic damage
Combination of the above

Reply to anti-ageing expert