Question
Posted by: Callie | 2011/09/27

Dark bruise marks under skin

Hi Doc, I am 81 and with the slightest bump my skin gets bruised causing ugly dark spots.

Expert ImageAnti-ageing expert

Hi Callie, thank you for the question.

My advice would be to consult with your family physician who can take some blood to check your clotting factors and to make sure that there are no vitamin deficiencies or other concerns (such as the with the liver). Unfortunately the appearance of bruising under the skin may be normal due to an increased fragility of the skin structures and the superficial veins, if all the blood tests are normal then one may consider taking supplements such as a multivitamin and a zinc/magnesium tablet.