Question
Posted by: Zoey | 2010/01/18

Daniel Diet (fast)

Hi Doc. I am currantly on a 21 day Daniel fast. It is for spiruatal reasons as well as detoxing ones body. It means that I can only have fruit and vegatables, nuts, 100% fruit juices etc. I can have as much as I like, but must alos remember that it is a fast and we must overindulge.
No sugar, butter, meat or animal products, no dairy products, no deepfried foods, no solid fats, no alcohol etc, white rice, pasta, carbonated cooldrinks, diet cooldrinks, How familiar are you with this diet and will it, if I stick to it for the fulll 21 days results in me losing weight? I' ve got about 10kg to shed. In the Bible Daniel and his friends went on a 10 day fast of which they haven' t eaten from the King' s table and they were healthier and stronger than the men who ate from the Kings table during the 10 days.

Dear Zoey
Theoretically the use of the 'Daniel diet' should result in weightloss because you will probably reduce your total energy intake. However do keep in mind that any food if eaten in excess (even very healthy foods like fruit and vegetables) can cause weight gain if they push your energy intake up above what you require on a daily basis. Nuts, although healthy are also very rich in oil and thus have a high energy content. For example, the general recommendation for women who want to lose weight is to reduce their energy intake to 1500 kcal or 6300 kJ per day. 100g or 3 handfuls of a nut such as the Macadamia will contribute 2936 kJ which already represents 46,6 % of the daily energy intake for weightloss. So even the Daniel fast will only result in weightloss if you eat reasonable amounts of fruit and vegetables and small quantities of nuts.
Wishing you all the best over your fast

4
Posted by: Zoey | 2010/01/20

Well I' m totally amazed that " Amazed"  is giving me a mouthfull about the fast. I was asking a question to Diet Doc and it is purely a question. I' m on the fast for spiritual reasons and not to loose weight. I was only wondering and it is not a sin!! And No I am not going to ACTS Church in Midrand. I' m staying somewhere in the NC! I don' t drink alcohol, I was explaining to Diet Doc what the fast is all about. I don' t want to be rude during a time of spiritual healing, but I think you should mind your own business and don' t judge people before you know the facts. Zoey is not my real name.

Reply to Zoey
Posted by: Amazed | 2010/01/18

P.S. You shouldn' t be having alcohol anyway as your body is the temple of God and you should respect it.

Reply to Amazed
Posted by: Amazed | 2010/01/18

Zoey: You go to ACTS church in Midrand right?

This is a FAST darling in order for you to bcome spiritually stronger and not to lose weight!

When you fast, it is a sacrifice you make in order for you to remember to put your focus on the Lord.

I too am " fasting"  and no one gave me the above conditions during this fast.. If I remember clearly, Pst P. gave suggestions of how you should go about the fast but he did say that we need to control this so as to not get out of hand... the point of the fast is not punishment but sacrifice.. and you should not be fasting if you are using the fast as a facade to lose weight.

I suggest that if you want to lose weight, you join the gym or weigh-less or something.

Reply to Amazed

Dear Zoey
Wishing you all the best over your fast