advertisement
Question
Posted by: Shongololo | 2008/11/18

DANGERS OF HANDLING RED SHONGOLOLOS

We live in Durban and my 2 year old loves handling the common red millepedes (small red shongololos) - he is incredibly gentle and nevers squashes them. I noticed his hands were stained brown after handling a lot over the weekend. I am happy for him to play with bugs, snails and the like, but of course caution with spiders, snakesetc but I was a little alarmed when someone said the shongololos were posionous.
He has no other problems just the the brown stains on his hands.
I cannot find any information that says they are posionous or harmful only that some give off an " iodine"  type stain.
Any chances our Cyberdoc would know?
I have searched the web and cannot find anything to be alarmed about.
thanks

Not what you were looking for? Try searching again, or ask your own question
Our expert says:
Expert ImageCyberDoc

Dear Shongololo
Cetnipedes (honderdpote) who only has one pair of legs per segment can sometimes be poisonous but shongololos (duisendpote) who have 2 pairs of legs per segment are plant feeders and have too small jaws to bite a human. They can give off a foul smelling liquid that can burn your mouth and eyes but this is not poisonous.
Dr Bets

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

9
Our users say:
Posted by: Zintle | 2015/10/27

One day at night i wakeup it was moving on my chest i screened because i don't like shongololos, i was so scared i even feel my body as if its moving on me with those thousands legs. After sometime when i looke at my chest on top of my breast i have a small bite that is very painfully. Those it have a poison? Its a red one.

Reply to Zintle
Posted by: Zintle | 2015/10/27

One day at night i wakeup it was moving on my chest i screened because i don't like shongololos, i was so scared i even feel my body as if its moving on me with those thousands legs. After sometime when i looke at my chest on top of my breast i have a small bite that is very painfully. Those it have a poison? Its a red one.

Reply to Zintle
Posted by: Mrs A | 2015/03/02

I used to play with black shongololos as a kid, and one day when I was about 8, my brother an I came across a black and yellow one with patterns like a honey bee. We didn't touch it in case it was poisonous, but we picked it up with a stick. I'm wondering now if yellow shongololos are poisonous. We lived in Pretoria

Reply to Mrs A
Posted by: Andy Blazeby | 2013/12/20

A couple of nights ago I brushed a shogololo off my shoulder, two days later I have what appears to be a bruise about 55 centimetres long, which is sore to the touch. almost looks like a birthmark type blister. Its damn sore right in the crease of my neck.

Reply to Andy Blazeby
Posted by: Anonymous!!! | 2013/12/16

There are green shongalolos are they poisonous

Reply to Anonymous!!!
Posted by: Anonymous!!! | 2013/12/16

There are green shongalolos are they poisonous

Reply to Anonymous!!!
Posted by: Kim | 2013/11/16

My 3 year old also loves them and picks them up all the time, but he's just been playing with 2 and I've noticed his hands are stained brown which has distressed him somewhat and admittedly, me! I wondered if it was harmful, but can't seem to find anything about it. Glad to hear from you ladies that it's not poisonous. Hopefully he might be putt off now and won't play with them in future. I would hate for the spray to go in his eyes or mouth or in a cut, because it sounds painful according to Caitlin's experience. Thank you.

Reply to Kim
Posted by: Caitlin | 2013/09/05

When I was small I picked up 2 red shongololos in the garden and held them up to take a closer look. They sprayed and some of the spray got in my eyes. It was one of the most painful experiences of my life and I was unable to see for nearly a week after my eyes swelled up. I can still remember the way the spray smells and I wont go near shongololos if you pay me. I definitely wont let my children play with them.

Reply to Caitlin
Posted by: J9 | 2008/12/05

Hi, we also live in Durban, our son is 2 years old and also loves collecting bugs every day after school. He particulary loves the red shongololo and his hands have become very stained, looks almost like henna. I also heard that the red shongololos are poisonous, but am so relieved to hear that they are not, what a relief:-) Perhaps our sons shoud get together some time to play and explore bug hunting together.

Reply to J9

Have your say

Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
advertisement