Posted by: Natasha | 2009-03-04

Dangerously Obese

Hi, my husband is very obese and I want to help him. He works so hard he doesn' t focus on his health. He is about 1.73 and 145kg.
We' ve been to a dietician but didn' t get good results so he quit.
He tried alot of weight-loss products but it also didn' t work.
I don' t know if there is anything wrong with him because we haven' t gone to see a doctor yet. Don' t know which kind of doctor to go to, should we go to a GP and let him refer us?
He drinks alot of water, about 3-4.5 litres per day and doesn' t believe me when I tell him he should eat 6 small meals a day. He thinks he will lose weight by only eating once or twice (its obviously not working). The other problem is that he own a Take-away, so he nibbles alot.
Will he qualify for gastric bypass surgery?

Dear Natasha
Your dear hubby is indeed very obese with a BMI of 48,5. This extreme weight must be affecting his health and your first step is to consult your gp so that he can have a medical examination to determine: a) if he has any hormonal problems that prevent weightloss (e.g. thyroid and/or insulin imbalances), b) how the weight is affecting his health (diabetes, high bp, etc). Because your hubby is what is called 'Morbidly obese' and diet therapy has not worked for him, he would qualify for gastric bypass surgery. For more information about such operations and the potential costs, contact the Bariatric Centres of Excellence in regard to having a gastric bypass to assist weightloss. You can contact Jana Derksen at the Call Centre for the Netcare Bariatric Centres of Excellence on 0861-623-7489 or contact her at: or call her on her cell phone at: 072-373-0155 or visit their Website at to discuss this option if your hubby has a great deal of weight to lose.