Question
Posted by: Anon TT | 2008/09/25

Dangerous detox?

A friend is going on a detox diet for 40 days with only the following to drink:
1. A mixture of maple syrup, water, lemon juice, cayene peper,
2. water,
3. salt water and
4. herbal tea.
This just sounds wrong. How healthy can this be?
She is bipolar and also has a enlarged heart and diabetes and is overweight.
I' m really concerned for her health...

Dear AnonTT
I fully agree that your friend would be most unwise to subject herself to this dangerous regimen and for 40 days! I ask you! She will run the risk of causing her own death if she does not eat regular meals and goes into a diabetic coma. The salt water will also probably cause kidney damage. Talk to her and tell her that she will risk her health and her life if she goes on this dangerous detox. I wonder who is spreading this type of potentially fatal advice? If she won't listen to you, contact her family and/or psychiatrist so that they can talk her out of it.