Question
Posted by: Liezl | 2008/09/02

Dandruff on puppy

hi, i have a 3 month old min schnauzer pup, and he has a skin irritation. looks alot like dandruff flakes, only bigger! he itches a lot, what do i do? i have used fontline on him a week ago, due to fleas - we live at the coast and fleas are rife! should i take him to vet, or can you suggest anything please.
liezl

Dear Liezl

The skin irritation is likely because of the fleas. Treat in every second wek for a few times to make sure you kill all the fleas. Do the carpets with a flea killer spray as well. If not better in 2 weeks may be worth dipping him with amitix/ectodex as mites can cause similar irritation. You can also put him on a decent diet and put mirra cote or efazol over his food to maximize skin health.

1
Posted by: Chill | 2008/09/02

Apart from the flea control thing, I wouldn' t be overreacting to this. Lots of puppies are ' itchy'  for a bit.

The key is - apart from fleas - to look closely at the skin, and see if it looks healthy. If it' s red, or moist looking, or in any way odd - then take it further. But if it looks fine then let it be, my bet is it' ll settle down.

Reply to Chill