Question
Posted by: CBXer | 2009-04-06

Damp problem in walls

I know this question is not neessarily about the workplace however I need some help desperately. My mother passed away 23 Dec last year due to cancer and I have been sick with flu, colds chest infections for the last year and a half. What I realised the other day is that I am getting sicker more and more often. I thought about something that is affecting the house that I libe and my mother used to live in. I have inherited the house and it has had damp problem for ages!! It is getting continuously worse s time has gone by and I would just like to know if I could be getting sick from this mould and bubbling in the paint and walls. I am wearing a surgical mask so I dont breathe in the toxins. Apparently there is something called sick building syndrome that is very dangerous as one breathes it in al day and get chest infections and it lowers the immune system. Wel I have looke it mup on wikipedia andI have a lot of the symptoms and so did my mother and then she died of cancer. I do not have enough money at the moment to fix the damp as yet with builders as the quote is huge! Pls could you tell me what can I do to feel better and kill this moss and mildew. What products can I use. Can I receive payment for this building quote by the body corporate? It ius affecting the lounge, bathroom and bedrooms. Its everywhere. Is this what has affected our health all this time? What product can I use to spry on it or clean it off with? Pls let me know asap.

Expert ImageWorkplace health expert

There is a strong likelihood that you ar ein no danger of developing cancer. If the house has damp etc - repair it, start afresh , see your doctor for a checkup and all should be well.