Question
Posted by: BDK | 2011-08-15

Damaged

Hi there, i grew up in a ''volatile'' home, lots of drink and the threat of violence each day. A very good dose of emotional, verbal, and the threat of physical abuse(tho alot less) How much ''damage'' can this cause a person growing up? I am an, agoraphobic with terrble anxiety and panic attacks and some OCD issues. I haven''t left my house in 15 years! Needless to say, my distant family members are extremely ''critical'' of me and my life. I often wonder if what they say is correct. Though they all grew up in ''normal'' functioning homes. Am i incorrect in asking you to justify my perceived, damaged self? Apologies if it seems this way. Thankyou for helping us folks! bdk

There are no rules : we differ in our particular personal combination of strengths, vulerabilities and resilience. Whatever damage may have accrued, can be fixed by you working with the right expert assessment, advice, and treatment.
But you apparently have severe OCD, which really ought to respond to proper treatment, with CBT and drugs also used to treat depression.
Its unfortunate if relatives choose to be so unkind and unhelpful. Get an expert on your side, and sort this out, and give yourself the freedom to form the life you can find most satisfying

1