Posted by: Lisa | 2011-04-28

Damage to heart?

My Info: 23yrs old, 106kg, Asthmatic but under control hardly use pumps, dont exercise, done a diabetes test sugar fine, done blood pressure test its fine, on 3 occassions did ECG it was fine, did NOT check cholestorel
My History: Smoked for 8yrs im now a year off it, Used Methamphetamine for 3yrs im now 2yrs off it, binge drinker for about a year still drink every weekend (only cidarz nd beer)
Family History: Dad died at 42 from Major Diabetic Heart Attack nd End Stage Renal Failure, both mum nd dad have High Blood Pressure, Grandad died at 38 from Angina Heart.
My Question: Since i came off the " Tik"  i''ve always been able to feel my heartbeat. I get heart pulpatations, i''m unable to sleep on my sides then my heart thumps extremely hard like the fat is squashing it or my heart is too big. If i sleep on my back i stop breathing in my sleep, think i might have Sleep Apnoea, i get pains in my left chest, left breast and left back, i''m always tired sleep 10hours a day with extra naps. Yet my sleep is uncomfortable, i struggle to fall asleep and if i do i keep tossing and turning cos i feel my heartbeat it really thumps hard that i wake up.

Expert ImageCardiologist

Hi Lisa

We can be very sure that there is no damage to your heart and it is simply doing what your body is telling it to do. At the age of only 23 your short to medium term risk of heart disease is very low. However your long term risk is high, and your priority as far as your heart is concerned should be to look after it!

You have a family history of premature heart disease and you do NOT want the same thing yourself. It sounds like your lifestyle until now has been very heart un-friendly and I would do everrything possible to change that. "If you could see your heart, would you not look after it better...?"

Your urgent priority should be to lose weight, which should take care of the sleep problem as well as have huge benefits for your heart and general health. I would suggest go and see a good female general practitioner or physician and get help and advice. These things are NOT easy to do on one's own and you will benefit from support from a sympathetic knowledgeable doctor.

Remember the hardest - and most important - step on any journey is the first one. Once you make a start, the rest is easier.

Hope that helps, and good luck!