Question
Posted by: Gogga | 2008/10/19

dairy monster

My 5-month-old kitten goes nuts when I eat cheese or yogurt and most of the time she succeeds in getting a tiny bit, either by grabbing it from me or begging until I give in. Can I give her some of these foods or would it be bad for her? Otherwise she eats Hill' s Kitten with a bit of raw mince for a weekend treat.

Dear Gogga

A bit of cheese and yogurt now and again will do no harm.

1
Posted by: Chill | 2008/10/19

I know that the good commercial catfoods which have been on the market now for a number of years are undoubtedly the wisest choice of food for cats - same applies to the ditto dogfood for dogs - but it seems to me there' s a danger of people becoming a bit too neurotic about such things.

Marshmallows aren' t terribly good for kids but I really doubt that many moms would consult a professional expert to obtain reassurance that a few now and then are permissible. Same with chips, ice cream, lollies, fizzy drinks, choc chip cookes... the list is endless.

People have kept cats as pets for countless centuries, and have fed them a thousand weird and wonderful things, with little ill effect.

Without going overboard - let your dogs and cats enjoy a bit of variety, a few treats, some ' bad'  but tasty things now and then - if they are healthy, the correct weight, and provided these things are TREATS and not a major food source, they can only enhance their quality of life - and yours too, as a matter of fact. It is a source of great pleasure to me to be able to sneak my dog a bit of licorice occasionally - she happens to love this for some reason - or a Smartie now and then - yes, I know chocolate isn' t good for dogs, but she' s a large dog and they are small smarties and as long as she doesn' t eat a whole box - it won' t harm her.

Our old family cat - just to get your creative thoughts flowing - loved nothing better than spanspek pips... how do you like that? And he lived to a ripe and healthy old age!

Reply to Chill