Question
Posted by: KMT | 2012/02/04

Dairy-LESS breakfast

I want cut dairy out my diet for weighloss reasons. WHAT do I eat now?? I was eating all bran and 2% mikl and muesli n yoghurt for breakfast. NOW that I have cut dairy ,WHAT do I eat ?? any haelthy filling options ?? any suggestions welcomed.

Dear KMT
I must admit that I am rather amazed that you want to cut dairy products out of your diet for weightloss reasons. If you were allergic to milk and dairy products, and had to cut them out of your diet, I would understand. In view of the fact that recent research showed that low-fat or fat-free milk and dairy products which are our richest source of easily absorbable calcium, actually help with slimming, I can't understand why you would want to avoid dairy for weightloss reasons. I would advise that you make sure that you have at least 3 servings of low-fat or fat-free milk, yoghurt or cottage cheese a day as part of your slimming diet. To lose weight you need to reduce your energy intake and you can do this by cutting down on fat intake, but not at the expense of milk and dairy. Adults require 1200 mg of calcium a day to prevent brittle bones and stress fractures in the present and osteoporosis in future, so avoiding milk and dairy products, can put your skeleton at risk too.
Take care

4
Posted by: Elizabeth | 2012/02/20

Hi all above,

I am allergic to dairy products as well as lactose intollerant. I try to avoid all dairy products, although it gets tough at times. I drink a calcium and vitamin D suppliment.

If you want to cut dairy products from your meals, simply use water! I eat my meusli/ oats/ all-bran/ cornflakes/ pronutro without milk or joghurt! Cold water in the summer and hot water in the winter. My mom even suggested that I use diluted fruit juice or black rooibos tea in my porridge.

Also try a creamer such as Cremora Light in your coffee or tea, or just drink it black.

Good luck!

Reply to Elizabeth
Posted by: Trish | 2012/02/06

you have not answered the question. If you are allergic to milk what are your options for breakfast.

Reply to Trish
Posted by: Leonie | 2012/02/06

I use/drink RAW FULL CREAM MILK, age 57 Ok?

Reply to Leonie

Dear KMT
Take care