Question
Posted by: Queenie | 2008/08/06

Dairy Allergy

Hi Doc,

I recently had a RAST test done, and the result tested positive for Dairy allergy.

What foods would I need to avoid aside from the obvious milk, cheese and yoghurt.

Can I still eat Mozzarella cheese? And ice-cream? The doc said it was slightly high - so I assume I don' t have a deathly allergy to it. P

Thanks and regards,
Queenie

Dear Queenie
If you have an allergy to lactose (milk sugar) then you only need to avoid milk and all products that contain milk, but you may still be able to eat yoghurt and cheeses. If you have an allergy to the protein in milk then you have to avoid milk, yoghurt, all cheeses, ice cream and all foods made with milk (baked goods, custard, even some types of margarine that contain milk solids). You will have to read all your food labels and cut out those foods that contain milk, whey, milk solids, etc. click on 'Diet' at the top of this page and then on 'Food-related diseases' to read the articles on milk allergy. Also visit the SA Allergy Association Website at: www.allallergy.co.za . For milk-free recipes you can try the 'South African Cookbook for Food Allergies & Food Intolerance" by Hilda Lategan. Contact Hilda Lategan, who is also a dietitian, on (012) 546-6410) or send her an e-mail at: mwhildal@mweb.co.za . If you do have to cut out all milk and dairy products you will need to take a calcium supplement like Calcium Sandoz or Caltrate every day to prevent a calcium deficiency. Soya milk/yoghurt can be used instead of cow's milk/yoghurt and this is usually fortified with calcium to give you more or less the same calcium intake as when you use cow's milk.