Posted by: MOSCOW84 | 2009-03-31

Dear DietDoc,

I would like to know if one can ever drink too much water in a day.

Currently i consume 4.5-6 litres of water each day,is this healthy or am I overdoing it?

Dear Moscow84
You are certainly overdoing your water intake drastically if you drink 4.5 - 6 litres a day. Adults are not supposed to drink more than 2,5 litres of liquid per day which includes all the liquids you drink (water, tea, coffee, cold drinks, milk, beer, etc). Excessive water or liquid intake can lead to water intoxication which causes electrolyte depletion and may result in water retention. Pronounced electrolyte depletion can even be fatal, so please be careful. Reduce your (water + liquid) intake to 2,5 L of liquid per day.