Question
Posted by: Mishg | 2008/07/18

Daily recommended allowances too low?

I hope you can help me with this question.

I have been keeping my eyes out in the health shop/natural/completementary medicines industry for a while now and ive noticed that there is a lot of talk about RDAs being too low?

There are a lot of products that per serving recommend much higher doses than the RDA, this just for regular, everyday supplementation.

An example is in the article on health 24 regarding homocysteine levels and testing, the author says that the RDA for folic acid is 400mcg. ive seen products that sell folic acid in 800mcg and 5mg per serving..

Are our daily recommendations just out of date from the newest research???

thanks

michelle

Dear Michelle
According to the existing SA RDA the recommended adult daily intake for folic acid is 200 microgram per day, but it has been proposed that the SA RDA for folic acid should be increased 400 microgram per day. In view of the latest research it is not a good idea to overdose on any vitamin or mineral and one should not exceed the RDA when taking supplements. If you read the article "ARE VITAMIN SUPPLEMENTS FATAL?" (do a Search for it on the Health24 Website), then you will see that recent research cautions against the daily use of vitamin and mineral supplements if you don't actually have deficiencies. So the products that contain 800 microgram and 5 mg of folic acid per dose are far too high and may cause problems. It is wrong to think that if a small amount of any nutrient will do you good, then a large amount will be even better. In some cases excessive intakes of certain vitamins (A and D) and minerals or trace elements (chromium for example) can be harmful.