Question
Posted by: ICE | 2012/05/15

Daily menu following these guidelines

Dear Dietdoc,

I know you are not a fan of low carbohydrate / high fat diets. But the thing is... many people swear by it. Today there''s been an article on Health24 stating that diabetics fare better on high fat / low carb diets than on the traditionally prescribed low fat / high carb diet. I believe it, because when I cut down on my carbs (from 5 to 6 portions a day to 3 or less, and make every effort to increase fat intake, I feel better). However, I''m not sure how to make sure I get optimum amounts of each macro-nutrient.

The study mentioned above apparently prescribed a diet with the following amounts of carbs, proteins and fats:

" In the low-carbohydrate diet, 50% of the energy came from fat, 20% from carbohydrates, and 30% from protein." 

What would a sample daily menu look like, taking the above figures into account?

Many thanks!

Dear Ice
As a dietitian registered with the Health Professions Council of SA and the Association for Dietetics in SA, I would lose my registrations and not be allowed to practice if I handed out a diet that contains 50% of energy from fat and only 20% from carbohydrate. I would strongly advise you to consult a registered dietitian in your area (visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: www.adsa.org.za and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your specific area), so that you can have an individual low-fat, low-GI diet prescribed for you.
Take care

2
Posted by: ICE | 2012/05/15

O well, it was worth a try. (sigh)

If a high fat / low carb diet was so unhealthy, why does more and more doctors and nutritionists recommend it? (e.g Barry Groves (UK based with a PhD in Nutrition), Tim Noakes (SA based doctor)). Why do so many people who have tried it swear by it?

Two to three generations''s health have already been compromised and their weight negatively affected with high levels of obesity (in countries like the USA, UK and South Africa) by the generally prescribed low fat, high carb diet that you and other dietitians advocate. I wonder when the lawsuits are going to start happening? I guess that only then we may start seeing a real mindset change because at the moment dietitians are mostly all brainwashed and too worried about their licences to start observing and thinking for themselves. Also at the moment, too many people and companies'' fortunes depend on keeping many people fat and unhealthy.

Never mind giving me a sample menu as requested above. I''ll continue upping my fat intake and cutting down on carbs. It works for me, and I just hope that I get close to the optimal amounts.

Reply to ICE

Dear Ice
Take care