Posted by: Linette | 2010-04-29

Daily Headaches

Good day

Since I have been 6 years old I have had constant head aches daily and migraines occasionally. I have been tested for all kind of things, but medically there does not seem to be anything wrong with me. These headaches have undergone various changes and I have less migraines now as I am on constant medication - coxflam during the day and robaxin at night and Lorien in the morning. Still I have a headache every day from the time I get up until I go to sleep. I have been on various treatments to prevent headaches but this has not helped. There is nothing wrong with my blood pressure or sugar or thiroid gland.

I was also in a vehicle accident a few years back and ruptured a muscle in my neck which just adds to my pain.

I would love to have just a day without pain, as this effects my life very drastically. Is there something i am missing or can try?

Expert ImageHeadache expert

Dear Linette,

I you have had medical tests which have shown that there is nothing wrong with you, then it simply means that your doctors have been looking in the wrong places – there is always something causing the pain, and if one does a proper headache assessment, the pain source can be located. People suffering with headaches such as you have described must have a proper medical assessment, which should include a neurological examination. The reason for this is to make absolutely certain that there is not some serious or life threatening underlying medical condition causing the headaches. Although this is uncommon, especially if you have been suffering for many years, it is essential to exclude this possibility before doing anything else.

Once this has been done, then the next part of the investigation is started. The correct way to deal with the problem is to have a proper diagnosis of the underlying causes of the headache. If these are treated, the headaches no longer occur, and it is no longer necessary to rely on potentially harmful “rescue” medication.

To get to the root of the problem, you need what is called a “multidisciplinary” assessment. There are many different structures in the head and neck, all of which can be involved in the headache process, and no single specialist can have all the knowledge necessary to make a comprehensive assessment and diagnosis. For this reason, the combined the expertise of different specialists who would normally treat headache patients in isolation, are co-ordinated into a single more comprehensive body of knowledge. This enables a more comprehensive treatment plan, in which all the contributing factors are addressed. This assessment must include examination to determine the presence of tension in the head and neck muscles.

Headache sufferers often have a poor Quality of Life due to the constant pain and associated symptoms. For a free assessment of how your headaches are affecting your Quality of Life, click on

This information has been supplied and checked by the multidisciplinary team of specialists at The Headache Clinic, in association with The International Headache Society and the South African Institute of Headache and Migraine Science. For consultation with these specialists, call The Headache Clinic on 0861 678 911 (Johannesburg, Cape Town, Durban).