Question
Posted by: Crystal | 2008/09/17

daily energy intake

Hi DietDoc,

Can you please advise how I go about finding out what my daily energy intake (in kilojoules) should be. I am 32 and have 42kg to lose.

I can' t find anything on the DIET tab.

Dear Crystal
In general women between the ages of 14 and 50 require approx. 8400 kJ per day to maintain weight, and 6300 kJ per day to lose weight at a steady pace. If you have such a very large amount of weight to lose then I would recommend that you discuss using Xenical with your dr to start you on your way. Xenical is used together with a very-low-fat diet. By reducing your fat intake to very low levels this will promote weightloss. Xenical is, however very expensive and it will help if your dr can motivate for you to receive Xenical as a chronic medication. Another option is to have a gastric bypass done. Contact Jana Derksen at the Call Centre for the Netcare Bariatric Centres of Excellence on 0861-623-7489 or contact her at: jana@pharmacallcc.com or call her on her cell phone at: 072-373-0155 or visit their Website at www.netcare.co.za to discuss this option because 42 kg is a great deal of weight to lose.

1
Posted by: Crystal | 2008/09/18

Okaaay, so I' m going to aim for about 6000kj per day then.
That Xenical stuff looks a bit dodgy (side effects &  long term) and an op is a bit too drastic for me.

I can lose the weight, but have only recently got my butt into gear.

Thanks for the advice though.
Will let you know how it goes.

Reply to Crystal