Question
Posted by: URSHEE | 2011/07/11

Dagga and Son

My son is 18years and still in matric,I recently found out that he is smoking and started smoking dagga,I have tried to speak with him and all he says is that I must just chill.He knows every thing about drugs and the harm it can cause.I have tried to stay calm until I can get expert advice on how to handle this situation.
He and his friends are sporty guys and I cant believe they are doing this.His father went bad on drugs when he was young and I left him and we havent seen him since then,so my son has alot of anger and sadness with that,and he always said he would never smoke and stuff and be like him,cause he saw and felt the pain it causes.
I just pray I can get the help and advice and it works before this all gets worse,and he ands up trying other harnfull drugs.

Thank you from concerned Mo.

Expert ImageAddictions expert

Hi Urshee
Thank you for your post.
I strongly suggest contacting a family support group, for example Nar-Anon. They are a free Twelve Step fellowship of men and women who have a similar experience to you. If you visit their website http://www.naranon.org.za/meetings you will be able to find where your nearest meeting takes place. Additionally I would suggest some therapy to help you with the anxiety that you experience over your son's drug use and the fear that he will be like his father.
Should you decide that your son does have an drug problem we can certainly treat him here at Harmony for his chemical dependency. Our programme would also include trauma therapy around the abandonment of his father.
I hope that this helps, however if you need to chat more please feel free to call me on 021 790 7779.
Wishing you the warmest of regards
Love & Light
Melissa
Harmony Clinic

1
Posted by: Addictions expert | 2011/07/12

Hi Urshee
Thank you for your post.
Wishing you the warmest of regards
Love & Light
Melissa
Harmony Clinic

Reply to Addictions expert