Posted by: an | 2009-06-24

I' ve been smoking weed for the past 22 yrs and I' m healthy, never been sick bcoz of it. I' m clear so 2 say. My galfrnd says I' ll die if I carry on. So?
I need help and cant loose her but I need this. i' m not dependent though

Expert ImageArchive

My apologies, the initial response was for the question under 'marijuana' - please find my ammended response below...

Hi, I would suggest that you seek professional imput from a mental health practioner (such as a psychiatrist/clinical psychologist). You might have an underlying problem that might be triggering you dagga use - such as depression, so you might need medication/intervention. This is not always the case, but it might be useful to look into it<br><br>Secondly, one of the criteria for diagnosing/assessing problem substance use is to determing if the substance is adversly affecting any of the users relationships.... and it appears as though it is affecting the relationship negativelly with your girlfriend - this in itself is a sign of problem use.

Posted by: MDK | 2009-06-28

You are the exact opposite of the model South African citizen. Stop thinking for yourself - question nothing. Believe the hype.

As for your girlfriend...? Simple challenge for her. If she can name one person who has died from the ingestion - ie normal smoking - of cannabis - then you will give up. (And no, swallowing a kg of hash does not count) If you can' t show me ONE other person who has died from it what makes me so SPECIAL?

Reply to MDK
Posted by: D | 2009-06-27

Just a correction to the last post, marijuana DOES NOT CAUSE CANCER

Just try and find a case of marijuana only smokers getting cancer, carcinogens don' t seem to have much to do with it, radioactive fertilizer used to grow tobacco might though...

Having said that, its bad for your lungs  )

Reply to D
Posted by: Expittekop | 2009-06-26

Here' s what I just said on another post:-

" Subject: RE: Marijuana
Posted by: Expittekop | 26/6/2009
Hi Angela

The first comment was quite correct. Dope is not physically addictive. You can stop, but only if you really want to. I did not want to stop smoking, but I knew I had to, for the sake of my family and for medical insurance reasons and so on. I still have a little bag of "  omkyk twak"  stashed away, but haven'  t had for about 15 weeks now with no hassle. It may be that you are addicted to the tobacco you are mixing it with. Try smoking much smaller amounts without mix and thereafter just kick it totally. Good luck, you can do it, easily.

And then to Juan, are you the same guy who always posts about the free ANC T-shirts? Ja nee boet peeps need to smoke to stay sane in his country. LOL. No seriously people, if I can stop smoking "  wakkie tabakkie"  anyone can.

Cheers Expittekop " 

To add to this. Dope, unfortunately, contains more carcinogenics than tobacco which do cause cancer amongst other complications. You have a false sense of security if you believe that you are not harming your body by smoking weed. the good news is that stopping really is easy, just try and you will see.

Reply to Expittekop
Posted by: Been there | 2009-06-26

No dagga is not good for you as it is still smoking and will damage your lungs. It also has effects on memory retention etc. Dagga is not physically addictive, so it is even more easy to stop using than it is to stop smoking cigarrettes. I have smoked about 8 years and recently just decided not to buy again. I have been clean for 4 months now and have much more energy than when I used to smoke dagga. good luck

Reply to Been there
Posted by: Dopehead | 2009-06-24

Hi. An. You say you need it, but you are not addicted. You are contradicting yourself here. Of course you are hooked. Face it and get help. Be thankful for the attitude of your girlfriend. She wants to help you kick a very bad habit.

Reply to Dopehead