Posted by: Gill | 2009-03-16

Dads menopause

My father who is 75 has started showing erratic emotional behaviour. He becomes extremely aggressive and possessive over my mother at times and at other times he is perfectly normal. My mom says that at other times he gets depressed. Do men go through menopause? Is this a chemical imbalance and is there medication available?

Many thanks

Far too late for menopause of any sort, and more likely to be a form of senile dementia. There are medications that can slow down this process, though none that cure it. He needs a proper shrink's assessment to clarify the diagnosis ( sometimes here are physical causes for dementia which can be cleared up ) and for a discussion of treatment options.