Dad confusion

Hi. I have a 4month old baby and as much as I' d like my boyfriend to be his father, I' m really unsure as I had relations with someone just before my boyfriend and I started dating. We never used a condom. I just started taking the pill and I took the emergency pill the day after. He didn' t ejaculate inside me, but I know that pre-ejaculate can also do the trick. About a week or two later, my boyfriend and I had relations. We used a condom, but he never changed it after he ejaculated, and we went for another round, so it could' ve leaked. When I had my pregnancy test done, the doctor estimated that I was 8weeks along, which I agreed with because it dated back to when my boyfriend and I had relations. However, at my first gynae visit, which was about 4weeks later, I was found to be 17weeks pregnant. So 5weeks ahead of what I thought. Is the only way to tell who my baby' s father is, through a paternity test? If so, where in cape town can this be done and What would it cost? And can it be done with a dna sample, or must it be a blood sample?

With the confusion, the only sure way to know is with a paternity test. You will need blood samples from you, the baby and your partner. Phone a lab such as Pathcare for more details.

Posted by: Dee | 2009-06-18

If you say at the first gynae appt you were 17 weeks already then i would say the father is most probably not your bf. Best would be to do the paternity test but then you would need a blood sample from your bf. You can do it at a Pathcare, I think it costs around R2500.

Reply to Dee