Posted by: Fran | 2009-06-30

Dachshund does not eat

I have a five year old male dachsie. I am having trouble getting him to eat. Our other dachsie does not have the same problem. I have tried to change the brand of food that I give them, then he will eat it once and we will have to feed him after that to eat again. He has gone without food for more than 2 days where he just sits and looks at his bowl and not eat. Any advice?

Dear Fran

For some dogs this is normal for other this is close to death's door. I would take him for a blood test to make sure.

Posted by: steph | 2009-07-01

i do agree with chill that perhaps the dog is manipulating, and for daxies this is not uncommon behaviour, these dogs are stubborn as all hell. but in my experience most daxies are more greedy than they are i' d check it out.

Reply to steph
Posted by: Chill | 2009-06-30

Now I have a slightly different interpretation of what you' re saying... I reckon this dog is manipulating you to provide him with a la carte meals. Unless he' s ill, or listless, or underweight, or shows any other abnormal symptoms, I' d feed him his food, if he doesn' t like it, remove it and try again later. No healthy dog has ever starved in the presence of food.

Obviously, if he doesn' t seem well, then your first stop should be at the vet' s.

Reply to Chill
Posted by: steph | 2009-06-30

maybe he needs to see the vet if he' s not eating. there could be so many things wrong, and your question is rather scant on details that would assist cybervet in even nearing a diagnosis.

on the other hand, we have a small daxie and she hates eating if there' s a lot of noise ( namely our other daxie trying to steal her food) so we try to keep her in a calm place while she eats. i have heard of some odd daxie owners who say their dogs only eat if you throw the food at them like a toy...personally i think this is nuts and ill advised to entertain or reward this kind of behaviour.

if my dog was skipping meals for up to two days...i' d go to the vet.

Reply to steph