Question
Posted by: Didi | 2010/09/20

dachshund deaf

Is it common that dachshund go deaf through age, if so at what age.

My dachshund seams deaf - we thought that he was just ignoring us.

How can I test his hearing.

Hi Didi

All dogs show different degrees of hearing loss with age. It is difficult to estimate the age when this will occur as it depends on the individual animals.

You can test the dogs hearing by

1) Approacing the dog from behind and clapping your hands, using a squeeky toy or shaking a set of keys and observing the dogs response

2)Brainstem Auditory Evoked Response testing at a referal clinic

2
Posted by: CyberVet | 2010/09/22

Hi Didi

You can test the dogs hearing by

Reply to CyberVet
Posted by: tiffany | 2010/09/20

hm..i have a 15 year old dachshund that i also thought was deaf...but he IS ignoring me...turns out he can hear me open the fridge from down tne passage...but he cant hear me when i tell him not to try to eat out if the dirtbin....all the best !

Reply to tiffany