Posted by: Tracey | 2009-04-07

Dachshund + back problems

Hi there,
I have a 7 year old dachshund. She is having back pain or muscle spasms. She started this last week, we took her to our vet, and she was given cortizone tablets and painkillers. The next morning she was 100% better - back to her old self. On Saturday night (still on the medication), she started getting sore again - was " shivering"  and making moaning sounds. We took her back to the vet on Sunday morning. He gave her an injection of muscle relaxant and a different painkiller &  antiinflammatory combo. I do find it strange that he did not do X-rays?? He examined her well for any signs of paralysis - thank heavens there were none! He thinks it is possibly muscle spasms. He also checked with us that she is weeing properly, which she is.

He said we should keep her on the new medication for a week, and then if that doesn' t help he recommended we take her to a veterinary chiropracter. Unfortunately this morning she looks like she is a bit uncomfortable again. What do I do? Do I take her back to the vet? Does she need cage rest? Do I take her to the chiropracter? (I am dead scared of chiropracters myself, and I' m scared that this will make things worse?) Is there a possibility she will need a back op? Are they successful?

Sorry for the long story and all the questions, but I am really desperate to help my girl!

Dear Tracey

I would go to another vet and just ask for a second opinion.

Posted by: steph | 2009-04-14

hi, i have two daxies and have had my fair share of back issues. my little female had some issues when she was about 7 years old as well. i took her to the vet who suggested putting her to sleep or some VERY expensive surgery but this was not possible for me at the time. in the end i just gave her some muscle relaxants and did some massage every day, as i am a trained sports massage therapist i suspect i had some little bit of knowledge in this field. the problem resolved and i was really happy. however when she was around ten years old the same issue came up again and i found a doggie chiro in durban who helped and we' ve not had any recurrences ( she is 14 years old now !) i am not sure where you live but perhaps you can ring the chiro in durban and she can help you with a referral to someone in your area who is reputable. 031 2666218. you can also try some devil' s claw as a supplement in her food once the problem is resolved to help keeps her joints healthy. also be sure to keep her weight down. it also helps to alleviate the pain if you place a warm bean bag on the affected area and seems to calm the dog, but this is only temporary relief. try to stay away from cortisone as a long term answer as, while it is invaluable in practice and care of pets and people alike, it can mask the pain of the underlying problem which will only resurface later. i hope you get along well and your little girl is better soon ! keep us posted ok :)

Reply to steph
Posted by: Chill | 2009-04-07

See if there' s a veterinary specialist physician in your area. If you' re in or near Cape Town, the Cape Animal Medical Centre (google it) is excellent, if pricey - you need a referral to go there, though.

Reply to Chill