Posted by: Cruz Campo | 2009-08-05

D &  C

I am 34 years old and have been trying to fall pregnant for more than a year now. We have done sperm count tests - all fine. I have bee to the gyne and all seems to be fine. I have had 3 termination of pregnancy in the past. The last one being 8 years ago. I have also found out last year that I have a fibroid - about 2cm. My mother suggested that I have a D &  C. Would this be ok with having a fibroid? If it is, when in my menstrual cycle will the gynae schedule it? Where will it be done - in his rooms or the hospital? Will it be under local aneasthetic? Will I be able to walk immediately after?

There is no need for a D&C. Your next step would be for your doctor to check if you are ovulating and whether your tubes are open.

Posted by: Cruz | 2009-08-07

Thanks for your input Laurie. I really appreciate it. And yes, please, please, please make a recommendation on a good gynae in Durban. Thanks again.

Reply to Cruz
Posted by: Laurie | 2009-08-07

Hi there,

I can' t comment on your terminations and fibroid, but I can commment in the D &  C as I just had one 3 weeks ago. It is done anytime in your cycle and done in a hospital in theatre under local anneasthetic. It honestly is not painful - just uncomfortable - like period cramps for a few days. You only stay in the hospital for the day and are up and about a few hours afterwards. You will be off work a few days. And you should bleed for about a 5 - 7 days afterwards - lighter than a normal period.

Good luck with it - I am sure it will all go ok. If you need a good gyane I can recommend one in Durban. Take Care.

Reply to Laurie