Question
Posted by: Worried | 2011/05/28

Cysts after Mirena

Please share your thoughts.
I have just been to my gynea as I have had 3 UTI''s after having the Mirena inserted in December, he discoverd a cyst of 3.5cm. I am so worried, can this turn into cancer, as I have a horrible family history of cancer. He prescribed Provera for 14 days. I have read that Provera contains additional hormones, and my sister''s breast cancer was hormone related, so I am very confused. Do I just take the Provera and hope the cyst dissapears (doc has not asked for a follow up exam) and pump my body full of more hormones that might cause cancer, or do I leave the Provera and hope the cyst does not grow any further.

Cancerous cysts have a differnt appearance on scan to non-cancerous cysts.You don';t say what cancers are in your family, but most gynae cancers are related to oestrogen, not progesterone which is what Provera is. I would suggest that you take the Provera.

1