Posted by: Anon | 2009-02-06

Hi. Went to gynae to remove polyp and he also saw cysts on ovary. I went for blood test on cd21 for insulin, progesteron etc. Startd provera on cd22. Took it for 1 wk and startd bleeding when my period was due, have a very regular cycle. Dr sed my 1 ovary is fine. All blood test came back normal and i did ovulate. He sed i should start provera again when bleeding stops for 2wks and on day 4 of bleeding start fertomed. I read somewhere that u should nly take provera for the second half of cycle is this true and what is it that causd me to start bleeding even while on provera? Do u recomend i get a second opinion? I am realy confusd and sceptical about carrying on wit provera. I am also bleeding more and longer than usual. Sory for so many q' s. Thanx in advance.

Dear Anon

It appears that you have a regular cycle and in addition your blood tests performed show that you do ovulate, this is rather a good indication that your hormone profile and menstrual cycle is working quite well. I am not sure as to why your gynaecologist is now putting you on Provera. You should consult your gynaecologist and ask him the reason that he is putting you on Provera despite you ovulating well and having a very regular menstrual cycle. If his answers do not satisfy you then I suggest you get a second opinion.

Answered by: Dr Y. M. Dasoo