Question
Posted by: Samantha | 2010/01/18

Cystitis

Dear Doc,

I am writing to you since I feel this is too personal to discuss with my GP.

THere is a man that I occasionally sleep with. I have known him for 10 years and he is a very health conscious person.
We do not use condoms ( yes I know what you are going to say but I am telling you the truth) The last three times that we have had sex I have ended up with a bladder infection. The time before this it became a kidney infection!

The facts are the following:

He is VERY well endowed...more so than any other man I have been with

We do tend to get a bit rough and the sex does go on for a long time, and its always more than once a night.

This does not happen with any other man, I do not sleep around but have recently come out of a 2 year relationship and it never happened then.

I am 51 years old as is he.

I ask the following questions :

Could these infections damage my kidneys?
Could he be harbouring a germ which he is passing on to me.?
( he has said that it has not happened to him with anyone else either )
Could I have a latent germ which is causing it?
Is it just as a result of an injury to my urethra?
What can I do to prevent future attacks?

I have been advised by my GP to take a 5ml dose of Citrosoda on a daily basis to help prevent it. Is this a good idea? He did say that my urine is very acidic.

Thank you for your help.
Sam

Bladder/kidney infections are probably resulting from irritation of the bladder which is just in front of the vagina. This is commoner if you have rough or frequent sex. At your age, you probably also have some vaginal dryness.You could try emptying your bladder before and after sex, use KY jelly and you may also consider an oestrogen vaginal cream. I don't think that you or he are harbouring any bugs. The Citrosoda may help. Also try drinking cranberry juice.

1